Request for More Information

We’d love to hear your suggestions or offer doctor recommendations. To find a pediatrician for your children, please complete the form below.

*We do not provide medical advice. For medical concerns please contact your child’s pediatrician directly.

As household electronics and personal devices continue to shrink in size, they also pose a dangerous risk to infants and young children – many of these items contain small lithium or button batteries that when swallowed, can cause serious injury. In 2013, more than 2,800 children were treated for swallowing button batteries – that’s one child every three hours! What do you need to know to keep your family safe?

What are button batteries?

Button batteries are small, round lithium batteries found in small electronics including:
• Remote controls
• Cell phones
• Watches
• Flameless tea lights or candles
• Thermometers
• Games and toys
• Hearing aids
• Calculators
• Bathroom scales
• Key fobs
• Musical greeting cards
• Cameras
• Reading lights
• Flashing or blinking jewelry
• Musical holiday ornaments

The dangers of button batteries
When a kid swallows a button battery, these tiny but powerful lithium batteries can get stuck in the esophagus (throat). Saliva triggers an electric current which causes a chemical reaction in as little as two hours, causing a hole to burn in or through a child’s throat, trachea, stomach or nasal septum. Repairing the damage is painful and could require multiple surgeries, a feeding tube and breathing tube.

How to know if your child has swallowed a button battery
When a child swallows a button battery, the symptoms could be similar to those of a common cold or infection:
• A sudden onset of crying (some children may not be in pain)
• Drooling
• Decreased eating or drinking
• Difficulty swallowing
• Hoarse voice
• Vomiting
• Chest pain or discomfort
• Abdominal pain, blood in saliva and stool

If you think your child has swallowed a button battery…seek immediate medical attention!
Don’t induce vomiting or have your child eat or drink anything until assessed by a medical professional. The symptoms may be tricky to recognize but if you have even the smallest doubt, don’t take any chances. Take your child directly to the emergency room.

Tips for a Creating a Battery-Safe Home
Take the necessary precautions to prevent these situations and be sure you are prepared.
• Don’t assume that every battery-powered product that enters your home is safe for children.
• Keep loose and spare batteries, including dead batteries, locked away from children as you would with medications and other poisonous products.
• If you have devices that use button batteries, tape the battery compartment door shut.
• Tell everyone you know about the risk of button batteries and children.

*Information provided by SafeKidsUSA (www.safekids.org)

Welcome To The CPCMG Blog

Button Battery Injuries in Children: A Growing Risk

As household electronics and personal devices continue to shrink in size, they also pose a dangerous risk to infants and young children – many of these items contain small lithium or button batteries that when swallowed, can cause serious injury. In 2013, more than 2,800 children were treated for swallowing button batteries – that’s one child every three hours! What do you need to know to keep your family safe?

READ MORE

South Bay Saturday Clinic Now Open

Same-day and walk-in sick child appointments are now available at the South Bay Saturday Clinic. Conveniently located off Interstate 805 in Chula Vista, the clinic is behind Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center. Parking is free for patients and their families.

READ MORE

What is RSV?

Every year from November to April we are officially in RSV season. This may not mean much to you but for pediatricians this is something we brace for and dread. So why should you care? Typically an older child or adult infected with RSV will seem to just have a cold. However, if you have an infant or small child, RSV, respiratory syncytial virus, can be much more than just a cold.

READ MORE

What is a “cold” and how should you treat it?

Every fall/winter we go through the same dreaded respiratory virus season.  What exactly does that mean?  For doctors it means very busy days in the office.  For patients it means lots of colds, coughs, croup, sinus infections, RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) and influenza to name a few.  The most likely upper respiratory infection you and your […]

READ MORE

Itchy, dry skin….what to do?

It’s that time of year when the heater can dry our home environment out a bit and your child has dry skin and seems itchy…Here are some helpful tips on home care and when you need to see your pediatrician.

READ MORE

Meet Dr. Regina Mangine

A native of Nebraska, Dr. Regina Mangine has been a pediatrician for seven years. She is part of the team at CPCMG’s El Cajon office.

READ MORE

Meet Dr. Leon Kelley

A pediatrician in San Diego for more than 40 years, Dr. Leon Kelley opened his practice in southeast San Diego after serving in the United States Navy. He currently sees patients at the CPCMG Euclid office.

READ MORE